Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Attitude in sports

Is SRK tweeting his way out of Kolkata Knight Riders?
http://cricket.ndtv.com/IPL2010/news_story.aspx?ID=SPOEN20100138236&keyword=news

The above news article on ndtv.com is about SRK's tweets suggesting he will leave the Knight Riders, because they have failed to reach semi-finals again. In the above page, I posted the below comments because I felt that SRK is promoting a really bad attitude w.r.t how to play sports -
"Every team should aim to play good cricket. Win or lose, the viewers want to watch good cricket. Should this not be the philosophy of every team in any situation- to play good cricket, win or lose ?

Mr SRK, I am a viewer and I don't care who comes to semi-finals. Every time I watch a IPL match, I am hoping to see some spectacular batting, or bowling, or fielding effort. Please understand this very important aspect about us viewers. We really don't care who wins or loses in the Indian Premier Leagure (even if some of us think we do!).

Perfection, even for a moment, leaves an everlasting memory, and that is why we are watching the IPL.. After all, all teams are Indian teams.. (No one can wish for Tendulkar to get out, can they?)

As an owner, I think you are harming your team by putting too much pressure on the team.

Play-only-to-win attitude is harmful to everyone involved. I am shocked no one talks about this serious issue any more."
This also reminds me of an incident with my roommate Diwakar during my Masters - an NFL match was on TV (I did not know any of the teams at that point), so I asked Diwakar, which team he was supporting.. I will not forget his answer ever... He said he always supports the Offense..

No comments: