Sunday, June 13, 2010

Staying Sane

A major challenge, probably the primary challenge, for an adult, in today's internet age is - to stay sane.

Ignorance was bliss. But today, because of the omnipresent media, we hear about so many horror stories the world over, and the next instant, we have re-focus and get back to work. I am not sure what that routine does to us psychologically.

I have, forever actually, been trying to come up with a philosophy that allows me to do both - do what I am supposed to do, and also, at least feel for the people in despair.

I guess, as an adult, we have to act professionally at work. No matter what happens, we have to get the work done. This requires a lot of self-discipline, which I lack unfortunately. I have tried to inculcate self-discipline, but lost the battle everytime by reasoning that it was not worth it or that it was not natural. Sometimes, we have to lose...

I think one should not read Google News etc while working. It really affects the mind when you read of an earthquake somewhere, but you have to re-focus onto your work.

Global tragedies aside, what about personal issues ? In my case, my personal life affects professional life immensely. And I dont think it is different with most people. It is very essential to work on our personal lives, so that we may have a good professional life.

Life throws at us, so many things, that it is ridiculous.. I realized that there is more happiness and pain, beauty and horror, good and evil, greatness and incompetence...than I will ever be able to imagine even.

It is important to try to stay sane through all of this. Do whatever it is, that helps you to stay sane.

No comments: