Friday, September 3, 2010

How to Play

The below thoughts were triggered by someone asking me if I was very competitive sometime back. I had no answer at the time. Perhaps my answer should have been - "It depends".

Because, when we are playing a sport, following are the different situations we can be in -
Mode 1. Playing to Win (Seriously) - e.g. in a tournament, league etc
Mode 2. Playing To Win (for fun) - e.g when playing with your friends
Mode 3. Playing for fun - when nobody cares who wins
Mode 4. Playing while being taught - goal is to try and follow someone's instructions (i.e. no experimenting on our own)
Mode 5. Playing to Practice - goal is to repeatedly practice (on our own) what we have already learnt, with minor modifications if necessary
Mode 6. Playing to Experiment - where we try totally new methods (on our own)

Previously, I have experimented in matches that I was playing to win . That is obviously not correct.
Perhaps every time we step on to a court/field, we should just think about which 'mode' we are going to adopt that particular day. If we switch modes, we should probably do it consciously.

No comments: